Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tuna and Arugula?

As I mentioned in my previous post, I love to find new recipes!  Well with the goal of losing weight, I am also looking for new healthy recipes to make too!

So today, I was checking out Gina's Skinny Recipes and found a recipe for Grilled Tuna over Arugula with Lemon Vinaigrette.  I love spicy tuna roll sushi and ahi tuna but had never made a tuna steak but have always wanted to.  So tonight, I made it!

Here is the recipe and some pictures from dinner tonight!  She amazingly also includes the nutritional information for all her recipes which really helps when watching what you are eating!

Grilled Tuna over Arugula with Lemon Vinaigrette
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 1 • Size: 5 oz tuna and salad • Old Points: 7 pts • Points+: 8 pts
Calories: 297.8 • Fat: 15.5 g • Protein: 35.4 g • Carb: 3.8 g • Fiber: 1.6 g • Sugar: 1.8 g
Sodium: 326.3 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:
5 oz sashimi tuna (sushi grade)
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 cups baby arugula
1 tsp capers
kosher salt and fresh pepper

Directions:
  • Season tuna with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.
  • Place arugula and capers on a plate. Combine oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper.
  • Heat your grill to high heat and clean grate well. When grill is hot, spray grate with oil to prevent sticking then place tuna on the grill; cook one minute without moving. Turnover and cook an additional minute; remove from heat and set aside on a plate.
  • Slice tuna on the diagonal and place on top of salad. Top with lemon vinaigrette and eat immediately.
The tuna steaks ready for the grill

I got the Arugula, but it was a little expensive since I could only find it in Organic, so I bought a bag of baby spinach too to mix in.  Good thing I did!!  Once I opened the arugula, we tried a little piece of it and YUCK! Well, not really, but it wasn't great.  So glad I got the spinach!

The recipe called for capers too.  I wasn't too sure about this, but bought them anyways.  I have seen Rachel Ray and Giada De Laurentiis use them and they've described them as "salty."  Well I describe them as YUCK!

The tuna fresh off the grill 
 My Grilled Tuna and Arugula with Lemon Vinaigrette 


So the verdict is??  Minus the capers it was great!  I mixed the arugula in with the spinach because I didn't want it to go to waste, but next time I make it I will definitely be leaving out the capers and the arugula and stick to straight spinach.

Hubby's verdict?  Remake without the capers and arugula.

This country girl CAN go fancy :o) 

No comments: