Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Yummy Pasta Recipe

As I have previously said before, I cannot wait to make something out of all my yummy vegetables growing in our garden!  Any excuse I have to cook I'm on it.  Cleaning up is another story, just ask my husband.  He'll be glad to tell you :o)

Well, for fun I love to peruse through Food Network, Self Magazine, Better Homes and Garden, and Southern Living (with the latter getting me into trouble more often than not!) for new recipes to make.  I even bought a binder the other day at Walmart to organize them in this weekend one day.

Well I absolutely love pasta and Giada De Laurentiis and found this yummy recipe from her called Creamy Farfalle with Cremini, Asparagus, and Walnuts.  Michael LOVES it and requests that I make it often.  I have adapted the recipe though.  So see below for the recipe, my changes, and drool inducing pictures!

Ingredients
Salt
1 pound farfalle pasta {I prefer to use whole wheat/grain pasta and since I can't find farfalle (bowtie) pasta in whole wheat/grain, I use whole wheat/grain rotini.  You can definitely use any kind of shaped pasta you want!}
3 tablespoons butter {You can subsitute olive oil for the butter to save on calories (sometimes) but I prefer the flavor the butter adds.}
1 pound cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced {I can't ever find these, so I just buy whatever presliced mushrooms I can find in the produce section}
1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
1 cup mascarpone cheese {Since I can NEVER find mascarpone cheese (a milder version of cream cheese) I just use cream cheese.  Regular, Low Fat, or Fat Free are all good! I choose store brands because they tend to be cheaper}
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg {I don't use this because I never use nutmeg other than this and don't want to spend the money and then waste it!}
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan {I just use the pregrated Kraft}

Directions
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the farfalle and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender and most of the juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the asparagus and saute until the asparagus is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the farfalle. Stir in the mascarpone and nutmeg (or creams cheese and no nutmeg) and toss until the cheese coats the pasta, adding the reserved cooking liquid 1/4 cup at a time to moisten. Stir in 1/2 cup of walnuts. Season the pasta, to taste, with salt and pepper. Mound the pasta in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and remaining 1/4 cup of walnuts. Serve.
This night we had it as a side dish, but normally it's our main course!

Hope you decide to try it!  Let me know what you think :o)

No comments: